Thommanon , Siem Reap
Thommanon is one of a pair of Hindu temples built during the reign of Suryavarman II (from 1113–1150) at Angkor . This small and elegant temple is located east of the Gate of Victory of Angkor Thom and north of Chau Say Tevoda . It is part of the UNESCO World Heritage Site , inscribed by UNESCO in 1992 titled Angkor. The temple is dedicated to Shiva and Vishnu .
Scholars studying the carvings of the devatas in Thommanon have concluded that Thommanon was built around the time when work on Angkor Wat was begun . However , Some believe that the distinctive carvings of females , known as devatas indicate that they were built during the reign of Jayavarman VI .
Thommanon is located directly opposite the Chau Say Tevoda and just 500 metres east of the Victory Gate on the way to Ta Keo . In the 1960s , the temple underwent a full restoration , The temple's carvings are very well preserved and the aged sandstone provides a distinct contrast to the surrounding jungle . The architectural style of its tower is also akin to the Ankor Wat temple and the Chau Say Tevoda in its vicinity .
The compound walls around the temple have all disappeared, leaving only the entry gates on the east and the west , the central tower is all that remains of the main temple . It is inferred that both Thommanon and Chau Say Thavoda were interlinked to the central tower under one large compound with large gates. The independent building separated from the main temple was the library .