Taiping railway station
The Taiping railway station (Stesen keretapi Taiping) is a Malaysian train station located at and named after the town of Taiping, Perak.Malaysia's first railway station was situated in Taiping and was opened in 1885 when the Taiping-Port Weld Railway Line, Malaysia's first, was opened. The current modern station is the third railway station to be built in Taiping .
The station was officiated by Sir Hugh Low . The station was the eastern terminus of the Taiping-Port Weld Railway Line, Malaysia's first railway line. The tracks of the line no longer exist as they were dismantled in the 1980s . The second station, which replaced the original Taiping railway station, was the relocated to the Jalan Stesen site between the 1890s to early 1900s .
The railway connecting Taiping and Kuala Sepetang is the first railway of Malaysia and it has always been mentioned together with an interesting incident took place on the day it was officially put into operation.There was also a story saying that during its operation, an elephant was killed after being hit by the train. And the skull of the elephant is now kept at the Taiping Museum . Following the decline of tin mining industry, the railroad served for about 70 years before its services were terminated. In October 1987, Keretapi Tanah Melayu Berhad (KTMB) dismantled the rail line .
The famous red phone booth with Taiping sign on it . This booth is one of two red phone kiosks that can be found in Taiping , which the other one is located in the heart of Taiping (around old big clock) .